Manchester College Survey on the
In 1988 the "Pledge of Social and Environmental Responsibility" was instituted for those graduating from Manchester College. The affirmation states that "I pledge to explore and take into account the social and environmental consequences of any job I consider and will try to improve these aspects of any organizations for which I work." Taking the pledge is voluntary and allows graduates to decide for themselves what constitutes social and environmental responsibility. Throughout most of its existence at Manchester, those agreeing to the pledge (typically 50 to 60 percent of graduates), have signed and kept a wallet-sized card stating the pledge, and worn a green ribbon during graduation ceremonies. For a number of years the Pledge has been a formal part of the commencement ceremonies. Since 1996 Manchester College has been national headquarters for the Pledge.
Pledge of Social and Environmental Responsibility
We would appreciate you taking just five or ten minutes to tell us about your involvement/non-involvement with the pledge. The questionnaire is anonymous, so please be honest in your responses. When you have finished the questionnaire, please return it in the envelope provided. We have received much national media attention for the Pledge and have cited examples of our graduates carrying out the Pledge in their applying for jobs and when on the job. Thus any specific examples you can give are most appreciated. For further questions/comments, please contact Neil Wollman, (260) 982-5346, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks.
Please circle responses:
1. Graduation year:... 1995....1996....1997....1998....1999
2. Gender:.... male .... female
3. Degree:.... BA .... BS.....AA.....MA/MS
4. Did you sign the pledge card and agree to the pledge?.... Yes .... No
....Did you wear a ribbon at graduation?.... Yes .... No
....If you did not agree to the pledge, please exclude items 5 and 12.
5. If you did agree to the pledge or wear a ribbon, how seriously did you take the pledge at the time? Circle a number between 1 (didn't take seriously at all; definitely knew I would not consider the pledge regarding future jobs) and 7 (took very seriously; I definitely planned to consider regarding future jobs).
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
6. Since you graduated, how much have you thought about the pledge, be it while considering a job, while holding a job, or otherwise in life? Circle a number between 1 (not at all) and 7 (a lot).
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
7. Specifically when considering jobs, how much, on the average, have you thought about the pledge? Circle a number between 1 (not at all) and 7 (a lot).
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8. When considering jobs, how much have you actually "explore(d) ... the social and environmental
consequences of..." (again, give an average)? Circle a number between 1 (did not explore at all) and 7 (thoroughly explored).
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
9. After graduation, did you ever decide against a possible job principally because of the social or
environmental consequences of the job?.... Yes .... No
10. After graduation, how many jobs have you considered in which you had uneasy feelings about the social and environmental consequences of the job? _____
11. Since graduation, how many jobs have you seriously considered taking? ____
12. Have you ever tried to make changes on the job in order to improve the social and environmental aspects of your place of employment?.... yes....no. In how many jobs? ____
Were your efforts ever successful? ....yes....no (please give a brief description of any efforts)
13. If there had been no pledge when you attended Manchester, would you have followed its basic principles anyway when seeking jobs or when on the job?.... Yes .... No .... Unsure
14. Please write below any comments you wish to make about any of the above questions, about any other aspects of the pledge in general, or about any aspects of your involvement with the pledge. Any specific examples of your utilizing the pledge is particularly helpful. Any suggestions regarding conducting the pledge at Manchester are also appreciated.
Would you be willing to help on the project at the local or national level to whatever small or large extent you wished? If so, give us your name, address, and telephone number in a separate mailing if you wish the survey information to remain anonymous. Thanks much for your help.
Give name and contact information only if you so desire: _____________________________